Five years ago, I loved milk. I put it in my coffee, cereal and even drank it straight. Usually, I felt a bit nauseous or had an upset stomach after drinking milk but I just ignored these symptoms because things like cheese, frozen yogurt and chocolate milk were worth a little discomfort (or so I thought!)
I didn’t realize how negatively dairy was affecting me until I completely removed from my diet. Once I stopped consuming dairy products, I felt much less bloated and rarely experienced an upset stomach. My acne cleared up tremendously and my skin looked better than it had in 10 years.
Even though I gave up dairy products altogether, I didn’t want to deprive myself of the foods I loved. I did some research and discovered nut & plant based “mylk”.
I tried coconut mylk first, then tried almond and cashew mylk. Each plant based mylk has a unique flavor and consistency; I like to use them each for different things.
Over the past few months, cashew mylk has definitely become my favorite plant based mylks. Cashew mylk has a delicious creamy flavor and is especially tasty in matcha lattes, coffee and tea.
Cashew mylk is surprisingly easy to make and lasts about 5-6 days in a sealed container.
How to make cashew mylk:
- Soak two cups of cashews overnight
- Rinse cashews and blend with 8 cups of water
- Strain the mixture using a nut mylk bag, gently squeezing out the water
- Once you have separated the pulp, remove it from your nut bag and put it into a separate container (Like these cookies!!!)
- Store the nut mylk an airtight container (I like to use mason jars :))